Monday, April 30, 2007

My Little Songbird

I've discovered that one of the little bird who eats the sunflower seeds from my feeder has made his home in our apple tree. Sometimes when I'm eating breakfast, I'll notice that he's perched on a branch, watching me with his cocked head, tweeting every once in a while. I always know what it means: "Excuse me, don't mean to bother you during breakfast, but would you mind putting out some fresh seeds?" (I always imagine him with an english accent, isn't that funny?) Ofcourse I always get up and head to the kitchen window, and he swoops down and waits, balancing on the rose bush while I faithfully spread seeds over the bottom of the feeder. I read something in a Barbara Webster book which I found so sweet:
"Still unexplained is the coin we found one morning in the bird feeder. Was it meant to be a tip? Has anyone else ever been tipped by birds? A battered, dirty quarter, it looked as though it had been passed around from beak to beak."
Anyone who feeds birds knows that feeling of connection and commeraderie one has when your little neighbors depend on you and give you meek glances of gratitude. Songbirds are such shy, benevolent beings. At the local cafe, dozens of finches prance about the courtyard, dining on crumbs. A friend of mine noted, as we tossed tiny tidbits, that when a finch took a crumb from you, it would make a squeak before fluttering away. "They always say thank you," my friend said.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

ABSOLUTELY!
The coin and the tweet are gestures of gratitude. The coin story really is touching, considering how heavy it must be for a bird and quite difficult to come by. Nature is SO wonderful, benign and inspiring.

dawn-faith said...

Yes. One quote I read somewhere puts it well: "Nature can make me cry faster than anything." Yesterday, after transplanting my lumina pumpkin seedlings into the hillside of the garden, I was resting and drinking water when a little finch swooped down to one of the seedlings and hopped around it with such sweet curiosity. "What's this now?" I imagined he had been watching me digging and working with such determination (it's a steep slope!) and wanted to know what the fuss was all about. As I lay there in the sun, I listened to the birds, singing and talking and picking at bugs in the metal rain gutter. These tiny, robust little beings who hop and fly and never complain about the weather. I love birds.

Gio_be said...

I love birds as well. They are so delicate, yet strong little creatures and I really enjoy reading your posts. :) love, gio

dawn-faith said...

Hi Giovanna! I am so glad you enjoy them, I love being able to instantly relate what inspires and touches me with you and the rest of my loved ones. Are you going to be posting a blog soon? I would love to hear about your happenings...
love, dawn